The Cost of Adding Dormers to Your Roof: What You Need to KnowFebruary 2, 2022
Adding dormers to your roof can significantly increase the living space in your attic and enhance the aesthetic appeal of your house. However, it doesn’t come cheap. In this article, we’ll give you an overview of what you need to know about the cost of adding dormers to your roof.
What are dormers?
Dormers are windows that protrude from the sloping roof of a house. They provide additional space and light in the attic and can be various sizes and shapes. Dormers come in different types, including gable, shed, hipped, and eyebrow dormers.
Factors affecting the cost of adding dormers to your roof
The cost of adding dormers to your roof depends on various factors, including:
1. Type of dormers: Gable dormers are the most common type and the least expensive. Shed dormers, on the other hand, are more expensive but provide more headroom Roof dormers and space. Hipped and eyebrow dormers are the most expensive as they are custom-built and require skilled craftsmanship.
2. Roof structure: The cost of adding dormers to your roof depends on the existing roof structure. If your roof is flat, it’s easier and less expensive to add dormers than if you have a sloping roof that requires modification.
3. Size of dormers: The size of the dormers affects the cost of adding them to your roof. The bigger the dormer, the higher the cost.
4. Materials used: The type of materials used for the dormers affects the cost. For example, if you choose a custom-built dormer made of high-quality materials, it’ll cost more than a prefabricated dormer made of standard materials.
5. Location: The cost of adding dormers to your roof varies by location. Labour costs are higher in some areas than others.
The cost of adding dormers to your roof
The cost of adding dormers to your roof can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above, but typically it can range from $20,000 to $50,000.
Gable dormers are the least expensive type and cost around $20,000 to $25,000. Shed dormers can cost anywhere from $30,000 to $40,000. Hipped and eyebrow dormers are custom-built and require skilled craftsmanship, so they can cost anywhere from $40,000 to $50,000.
In addition to the cost of adding dormers, you may need to consider other expenses such as design fees, permits, and structural modifications. You may also need to hire an architect, engineer, or contractor to help with the project.
Benefits of adding dormers to your roof
Despite the cost, adding dormers to your roof can provide several benefits, including:
1. Increased living space: Dormers provide additional space and headroom in the attic, which can be used for a variety of purposes such as a spare bedroom, office, or playroom.
2. Improved natural light: Dormers let natural light into the attic, making it a brighter and more comfortable living space.
3. Enhanced aesthetic appeal: Dormers can improve the curb appeal of your house and increase its value.
4. Energy savings: Dormers may allow for better ventilation and insulation, which can help reduce energy costs.
Adding dormers to your roof can be a great investment as it increases your living space and enhances the aesthetic appeal of your house. However, it’s important to understand the cost implications and other factors such as design, permits and materials. Consult with an experienced contractor to determine the best type of dormers that fits with your roofing structure and budget. With careful planning and a reasonable budget, you can add dormers to your roof and create a cozy, bright and functional living space.